Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Zune vs. ipod

The ipod is the current dominator of mp3 players today. Released in 2001, it has now sold over 220,000,000 iPods worldwide, making it the best-selling digital audio player series in history. Itunes, the program that allows for people to buy music online, and also is how you transfer music files from the computer to the ipod, has also grown exponentially in its uses, especially with the release of the iphone.

The Zune was Microsoft's answer to the Apple ipod, but has not nearly met the success as the ipod. Released in 2006, it utilized many of the same ideas and functions as the ipod, but simply could not get the client base it needed, and was virtually non-existent outside of the United States. Microsoft is hoping to change this with its new Zune, the 'Zune-HD,' which, even though it has yet to be released, is already listed as sold-out in all major internet outlets.

I have owned both a Zune and an Ipod, and I personally prefer my Zune to my old Ipod. I really found no difference to the actual device, so it really came down to the programs that had to be used with the computer. I had so many problems with Itunes, but the only problem I've really come across with the Zune program is that it likes to delete album photos for some reason, which really isn't that big of a deal for me. Also, Itunes gave me a lot of grief when it came to transferring music files either from my computer to my Ipod, or from my ipod to my computer, whereas there was no difficulties with the Zune program. Yes, I realize that it may be a violation of current copyright laws, but I believe that if I buy a CD I should be able to put the songs on my mp3 player, and if I buy individual songs online I should be able to burn them onto a CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment